Excerpt From My Upcoming Book
WORKING WITH THE WATERHOLE RITUALS: RULES AND GUIDELINES As we go along, you will learn many ways in which your approach can affect the relationship you share with a horse. The rules of your behavior will change according to whether your horse approaches you, or you approach your horse.
The rules for working at liberty to bring about a true instinct in a horse to want to bond and stay with you are:
- If the horse does not like the direction that he is given, he goes away, signaling you to stop your interactio
- To reconnect, you must seek permission to enter the horse’s personal space through the Hello Ceremony.
- If the horse objects by walking or running away from you, you must then go away, giving the horse time to naturally choose to reconnect.
- When you direct a horse when you are in his personal space, it should always be a request, and if he doesn’t respond to it, you drop the subject and walk away.
- If a horse walks up to you and steps into your personal space you can be more assertive
- If you are too assertive, your horse will leave you and you must not pursue him, but focus on developing back his willingness. When you approach a horse, you have entered his territory, thus, you must respect his wishes. However, when a horse comes up to you, the rules change, and he will be much more willing to accept your leadership and respect your wishes.
- You work with the tendencies of the horse only.
Communicating with horses in this manner brings about magical results. These laws I have found to be a universal formula to the success in any relationship. It is the formula of the dance between consenting partners that keeps a relationship alive.
Remember: this weekend, watch out for New Horse and New Human Sightings. I found the picture for the sighting I told you about sometime ago. This weekend, I plan to have another spotting. Have a great weekend.